Lets face it baby constipation is no fun! Here is a round up of tricks, tips, and recipes to help you get things moving for your little one!
Now lets talk about what could be stopping things up!
- Cereals (rice)
- Milk Protein
- White Bread
*Are all things that when too much is added to the diet, or maybe its the first time being introduced can cause constipation. Obviously a majority of these food items are still full of nutrients so we don’t want to avoid them, just be conscious of the amount being consumed. If its the first time baby is trying some of these foods its helpful to know constipation could be a result, and be prepared with the list below to help keep them regular.
Lets Start with the P foods that get baby pooping! Think…
- Pumpkins/ Sweet Potatoes
And a few other really great food options to relieve your babies constipation
- Whole Grains
- Coconut Oil
- Breast Milk
*These foods are known to get babies digestive track moving and baby back on track! When starting your babies puree journey and journey to solids try to incorporate these things in to your blends or pair them with the foods that are known to cause constipation to keep things regular and comfortable. You can read more on 20+ foods to avoid and use to ease constipation and babies here and here.
Tips for A Constipation Conscious Diet
- Mix a little Breast Milk (if you have a freezer stash) into your Purees when you are introducing solids.
- Mix Coconut Oil into purees, smoothies, and oatmeal to get in healthy fats (Medium Chain Fatty Acids) to soften the stool.
- Mix a small amount of Ground Flax Seed into purees, smoothies, and oatmeal to up the fiber and again healthy Omega-3 Fatty Acids.
- Add Purees Like Peach, Pumpkin, Prune to your babies oat cereal.
- Once baby is at an appropriate age, offer water even if its just a few sips at each meal time.
- When Creating Puree Blends and Led Weening meals pair food items together to include at least one thing that helps ease constipation.
- IF it makes it hard for YOU to poo it probably makes it hard for baby to poo too!
- Blueberries, and Cherries are my go to berries for constipation relief. They always seem to do the trick.
- If your Puree, or Cereal is thick going in it most likely is going to be thick coming out.
- Limit Sugary foods, snacks, and juices that can cause dehydration which can be a leading cause of constipation.
Recipes for Constipation Relief and Prevention
- Sweet Potato, Spinach, Pea Puree
- Spinach, Peas, Pear Puree
- Butternut Squash, and Pear Puree
- Pears, Prunes, Clove Puree
- Kale, Pear, Prune Puree
- Pear, Prune, Ginger Porridge
- Peach, Pumpkin Smoothie
- Cherry, Blueberry Kale Smoothie
- Chocolate, Cherry Smoothie
- Blueberry Chocolate Smoothie
Enjoy That Sweet Relief Momma!